The Random Cactus

A place where you can read what I am thinking at the moment. It may offend you, or maybe not; the point is that you can read it and hopefully it will stimulate a reaction, and this reaction will force you to think.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

Many people don't give a thought to voting, but I have always held it in high esteem. I guess it comes from growing up in a house where political opinions flew like daggers around the dinner table; we ate, we debated, we ate some more, and finally we found a common point we could all agree with. People have fought for the right to vote. Not everyone has the privilege. Some people around the world only dream about voting but will either have to vote for the sole dictator on the ballot, or they are not allowed. It saddens me that people in this country don't seem to care.
I told my kids that voting is important; if they didn't vote, they had no right to complain about the condition of the nation. They won't get to vote for every topic, every little decision, or even the color of the paint in the courthouse. But their voice will be heard. It's something I've hammered into their brains since they could talk. It paid off.
I was proud when my sons showed up at the polls this morning, eager to vote, ignoring the rain, with smiles on their faces and knowledge of all the candidates and their positions. We didn't all vote for the same candidates, but that's fine with me. The point is they took part in the process. And that was all I wanted.

I've linked this to The Rooftop Blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home